Tex-Mex Inspired Turkey Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup minced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin Toppings (optional)
½ teaspoon oregano chopped green onion
4 cups water shredded cheese
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup chopped fresh cilantro
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes non-fat plain greek yogurt
1 cup salsa
4 cups shredded cooked turkey
1 tablespoon dried parsley
3 chicken bouillon cubes
1 (14 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
2 cups frozen corn
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add minced onions and cook until onions begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano, stir for 1 minute.
2. Stir in water, tomato soup, diced tomatoes, salsa, shredded turkey, parsley and bouillon cubes.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until bouillon cubes dissolve.
4. Add black beans, corn, sour cream and cilantro. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
5. Serve soup with toppings of your choice.
Cheddar Turkey Casserole
4 cups uncooked spiral whole wheat pasta
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon prepared mustard
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cubed cooked turkey
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
½ cup slivered almonds
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. While pasta is cooking, in a large saucepan, sauté garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, thyme, and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
3. Drain pasta; place in a large bowl. Toss with turkey, vegetables and cheese sauce.
4. Prepare a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, transfer mixture. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until heated throughout.